Quoth Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>, on 2011-04-08 08:53:17 -0300:
> > - Would it still be possible to load shared libraries from such an
> > executable, or would I have to build everything into it?
>
> You need to link the interpreter using -Wl,-E (or equivalent magic)
> to export the Lua API symbols.

Er, as a secondary note, on many systems completely-static executables
can't access dlopen because it needs the dynamic loader to be present
in the first place.  AFAIK -Wl,-E doesn't help there.  If you don't
need it to be completely static, then you can build with minimal
shared lib dependencies and then dlopen will still work.

   ---> Drake Wilson