> I previously reported this for Lua-5.1, but I'd like to reiterate it
> for Lua-5.2 if possible before that version is released. I quite
> frequently script the installation of Lua in a non-global environment,
> sandboxing it to a project directory. This works fine, I can specify
> INSTALL_TOP on the command line, but the path /usr/local is still
> hardcoded in luaconf.h and there's no way to overwrite it without
> editing the file directly.

My take on this is http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2006-10/msg00580.html

The main point is that changing how Lua is built from the command line
instead of editing luaconf.h is the wrong way to go about it because
it opens the door to inconsistencies between what Lua clients see
from the included public headers and what the Lua library implements.
This has been the cause of some obscure problems in the past, before
luaconf.h replaced Makefile config files.