On 8/24/2011 7:55 PM, Stefan Reich wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Elias Barrionovo
> <elias.tandel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking the same thing. I'd understand the GUI dependency for
>> demonstration purposes in LuaOS' beginnings, but sooner or later
>> (rather sooner than later, I guess) it should change to something more
>> Lua and more open than Java.
> Yeah, because Tk is so much more Lua than Java. (What?)

Huh. Did someone mention Tk? I saw GTK, but that's not related to Tk
AFAIK. GTK IS a more natural fit for Lua, because it's written in C, and
so is Lua -- Lua's DESIGNED to extend and control C code, in fact.

Qt is a windowing library, and it's pretty heavy.  But still nowhere
near as heavy as Java.

Java is another language with a huge pile of libraries and cruft that
you'll need to pull in. Lua is small and elegant. Curious: Did you look
at IUP? [1] It's the most "Lua" GUI available, in that it comes from
Tecgraf, and shares some authors.

To reiterate what I said before: It's your project; do what you like.
But this is a Lua list, and if you want to get people excited, pulling
Java in is not the right way to go about it.

And as Troy said, don't throw a fit because people here don't like Java.
It's actually quite fashionable to hate Java in large swaths of the
programming world. I've been in the Java-hating club since long before I
was forced to ever even USE the language to write Android games.

Tim

[1] http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/