Mark Hamburg <mark@grubmah.com> wrote:

> This thread plays a bit to a message I started a while ago and never
> finished. Metatables are "hard" -- particularly for people coming from
> backgrounds in OOP languages.

I agree with what you said but you missed out one important point: the way
that methods of the obj:meth(args) kind are looked up is completely
different from the way metamethods are looked up. Other languages tend to
make user-defined and language-level methods look the same.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Humber, Thames: East or southeast 4 or 5 veering south 3 or 4. Slight or