On 09/10/2011 23:25, Tarmo Pikaro wrote:
Why do you need XML ?
I would propose to use JSON if you're not bound to any existing XML file
format nonsense.

This is questioned regularly in this list. I can go a step further, and question "why Json?". After all, its format is made to be easily parsed by JavaScript, not by Lua. You can as well use Lua table format as new format.

But in both cases, there are tons of XML and Json data to be parsed, produced by 3rd party libraries. From XHTML or RSS data to StackOverflow stats or Twitter data.

Beside, OP wrote: "I've got some legacy code", so he is clearly in the "can't do without it" camp.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France