On 13/10/2011 14.57, Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
Steve, again if you wrote a book, I could do the same for you-Patrick

Speaking of books... I'd love to write an introductory book on Lua, to fill the gap below PiL, but is there really a market?

Writing a good, coherent and effective programming tutorial is an awful lot of work. I should know: I used to earn a decent living by doing just that, in ancient times (i.e. before the collapse of the publishing industry). A typical language course took about three months to design and six months to write and revise.

One of the most important things is being able to speak the language of the listener, but this implies knowing who the listener is. So... who would the hypotethical "Lua intro" reader be? An absolute programming beginner? A student that only sees the world through OOP glasses because that's what the school taught her? Somebody already knowing at least another language? If so, which type of language and at what level? Is the learner interested in desktop applications, scripting, embedded systems, games or what else? What does she expect from the book?

The demon here is "reader fragmentation". A bigger demon is, of course, the wide availability of free material on the Internet.

So, how do you see the "typical Lua intro reader"?

P.S. Steve, I'm not trying to steal the book from you, should you plan to write it :-)

--
  Enrico