> What language is most likely to encourage good commenting ( What is being done and why ? )  and make the code easier to support by a future maintainer  ?
> Or is this just not something that is influenced by the language......

Personally, I only write extensive comments in Assembly language, and
for complex Perl regular expressions...
Because otherwise, I cannot read back my own code.
IMHO, Lua does not encourage good commenting, because the language is
already quite clean.
It is easier to maintain uncommented Lua code than a well commented
one in assembly language !