On 07/02/12 07:06, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
>> I'm not asking for much, just that math.log10 and table.maxn be
>> deprecated but not removed, and that they continue to be documented in
>> the manual. It doesn't seem unreasonable, given that Roberto
>> Ierusalimschy said in 2010 that 5.2.0 would be probably be released
>> with compatibility modes on:
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general/66133
>
> Lua 5.2.0  Copyright (C) 1994-2011 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
>> =math.log10(10)
> 1
>> =table.maxn{1,2,3}
> 3

Sorry, I only searched for #define and missed the -DLUA_COMPAT_ALL in
the makefile.

> ((About the manual, a simple search for both "math.log10" and "table.maxn"
> will find references to them, explaining that they are deprecated.)

Yes, but that won't tell you what they do or what their parameters
are, or what "deprecated" means or what compatability flags need to be
defined for them to be enabled.

You could find out some of these things by reading the 5.1 manual. My
concern is just that the 5.2 manual is not as convenient and useful as
it could be, for users who don't know what Lua version they are using,
or for users who are in the process of migrating code from 5.1 to 5.2.

-- Tim Starling