Maybe this can help; http://helper-threads.luaforge.net/

mattk <mksql@yahoo.com> schreef:
In some Redis loading tests, LuaJIT 2.0 (beta) is performing quite nicely, at
about 60% of the runtime of a similar single threaded Python script.

Using Python's multiprocessing module,
http://www.ngcrawford.com/2012/03/29/python-multiprocessing-large-files/
chunking large text files , results in a significant performance improvement
over a single process, splitting the works across cores. This is a
multi-threaded approach, but multiple Python interpreters.

I am assuming using the same approach in Lua / LuaJIT would perform even
better, but as a Lua beginner, I have not found the correct approach.
LuaLanes has been suggested. Essentially I am looking for a mechanism to
create a master list of tasks / jobs, when are then dispatched to a number
of worker processes < number of cores in the system.