To add one more answer to my own question: I've gotten back to
Programming in Lua. In Chapter 14, section "Global-Variable
Declarations", Roberto writes:

""" Because Lua keeps its global variables in a regular table, we can
use metatables to change its behavior when accessing global
variables."
This is followed by an example setting a new metatable with defined
__newindex to the _G environment.

>From this I infer it should be also safe with regards to the standard libraries.

I'm posting this just for future reference, if somebody happens to
find this thread via Google.

Peter