You can try this steps to build imlib:

luarocks unpack imlib2

cd lua-imlib2-0.1-3/lua-imlib2-0.1/

Edit the Makefile and make sure to change the line:
LUAINC= $(LUA)/include
to:
LUAINC= $(LUA)/include/lua5.1

then save the file and type: make install

now it should build fine!

____________________________________
Nietzsche: God is dead.
God: Nietzsche is dead.
____________________________________
Tiago L. Salmito
http://salmito.com
tiago[at]salmito[dot]com

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Bas Groothedde <lua@xoru.net> wrote:

Hey Lua community!

I'm trying to install lua-imlib2 on my Ubuntu Server by using luarocks install lua-imlib2
Now, it finds the package and tries to install, but then gcc complains about a fatar error regarding a missing lua.h

I have the lua dev packages installed and /usr/include/lua5.1/lua.h exists, but it keeps complaining about the
missing lua.h. What am I doing wrong here? (Because, it must be my mistake somewhere).

I tried Googling for a solution, but I couldn't find one.

LuaRocks output:

[root@xoruserver:/usr/include/lua5.1]$:luarocks install lua-imlib2
Installing http://luarocks.org/repositories/rocks/lua-imlib2-0.1-3.src.rock...
Archive:  /tmp/luarocks_luarocks-rock-lua-imlib2-0.1-3-478/lua-imlib2-0.1-3.src.rock
  inflating: lua-imlib2-0.1-3.rockspec
 extracting: lua-imlib2-0.1.tar.gz
Applying patch libflag.patch...
successfully patched Makefile
gcc -O2   -c -o limlib2.o limlib2.c
limlib2.c:3:17: fatal error: lua.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [limlib2.o] Error 1

Error: Build error: Failed building.

Thanks!