On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>   No.  I got tired of that at work, so I ended up building what I call
> "Kitchen Sink Lua"---a single executable that contains Lua and *all* the
> modules required to run the scripts I need to run.

And that approach works particularly well for Windows, of course!
Interesting that one of the reasons Go is getting traction on servers
comes from the single statically-linked executable it generates.
There's another issue (particularly Windows desktops); they can be so
locked down that no _installation_ is possible. So a kitchen-sink
executable is an elegant workaround.

>   But it wasn't an automatic process---no, I have this monster 1,239 line
> Makefile that builds the darned thing [4].

I did find luabuild a challenging project, and that was only a dozen
or so extensions. Lake helped a lot, because it's Lua that thinks like
Make.  I want to make using LB to glue custom executables together
easier to use, and allow for adding modules outside the rather limited
LB module tree.  Building software is hard, as Barbie the Software
Engineer says...

steve d.