Hi Guys

Thanks for the further feedback. A few assorted replies to the comments.....

I need some pretty precise maths elsewhere in my code, so it was never an option to change conf.h to reduce Lua's default number definition.

Yep, I was aware of the feature with lua_createtable() to pre-create the correct number of storage elements, I have used that a fair bit already in smaller tables I have made. If things look too slow, I will have to look at doing it with userdata, to try and optimise the number of bytes passed.

To answer the question on specs. I am using an 80Mhz Freescale Coldfire chip, it has got a few Megs of ram allocated for Lua, cant remember the exact figure, but well less than 10 Megs. I am using just bog standard Lua 5.1.5

 Why was I passing it to Lua,  when  I said all I wanted was to make a CSV file ? That one is easy to answer. Flexibility !
I have no idea what other folks might want to do with the data ? Heck, I usually don't know what I will end up doing with features and stuff myself a few months down the road, let alone other people :)

Getting embedded firmware changed for small tweaks here and there is a pain in the ass, changing a text file to run a tweaked Lua script is  way less hassle.

Geoff