2013/6/28 Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com>:

> But I stand by my point; it's an oddity of the language that I cannot
> use nil to mark an array entry as empty, and my suggestion was to fix
> that in a clean simple manner. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's a feature of the language, call it an oddity if you prefer, that
unused array items quite likely do not occupy any actual storage. The
Lua `nil` fits in very nicely with that. It is not intended to mark an
array entry as empty. The ways to do so are domain-specific because the
necessity to so is domain-specific.

I ask again: should `empty` be a valid table key?