----- Ursprüngliche Message -----

I'm not sure where the added core complexity comes from. Currently, Lua already does dispatch of special methods via metatables anyway for userdata and tables. This is used by many Lua libraries (some overload indexing, some overload plus or minus, etc).

The only new things that I propose are:
- ability to extend the set of lexemes recognized by the lexer
- ability to extend the set of special methods in metatables (you get a new special method name for each new operator)

And these two things are optional: if you don't want to use them, don't use them. And then there is no additional overhead at all.

But the metatable related dispatch is not changed at all. It remains as it is now and it is performed today anyway.

> There is also the fact that Lua's expressions and statements are
> strictly separated. You mention a "__send" operator - let's say
> this
> operator is "<~", you would not be able to do "send_to_me
> <~ value;"
> as a statement. You would have to do something like "local _ =
> send_to_me <~ value;", assigning to a dummy variable to ignore the
> final value of the operation.

Yes, it is an interesting catch. It would be really nice to have just an expresion without a fake assignment.
But I'd say this problem of "expressions vs statements" is an orthogonal one and has little to do with user-defined operators specifically, as it is useful on its own.

-Leo