> So I think at least the compiler should at least warn by default, with an option to keep quiet. Preferably disallow it.

How do you propose to handle warnings in a embedded language? The Lua
parser cannot emit warnings to stdout or stderr because these files may
not even exist or be visible. Moreover, it'd be impolite to trample on
the host's output. So, should the parser maintain a list of warnings for
the host to check? What can the host do about them?