The NetBSD operating system had Lua in the base system for some time
already, allowing the library to be included in userland programs.
bozohttpd, the included web-server, can use Lua scripts to create
dynamic content, e.g.

Last night I did the next step:  I imported the kernel parts to the
NetBSD source tree plus a command line utility to control Lua states in
the kernel.  The code is not (yet) linked to the build, but that should
happen soonish.

That code is the result of the GSoC project by Lourival Neto which I
mentored.  Lourival showed how to run Lua in the kernel, I added the
infrastructure partes like the lua(4) driver and the luactl(8) command.

There are of course still details to be sorted out, but this an ongoing
development, so stay tuned if this topic interests you.

It will also be interesting to see how Justin Cormacks work on Lua with
NetBSD and rump will add to the game.  Lua in NetBSD will definitely be
a  topic to discuss at the upcoming Lua workshop in Toulouse (which both
Justin and I will attend).

See

https://archive.fosdem.org/2013/schedule/event/lua_in_the_netbsd_kernel/

for a presentation during FOSDEM 2013 on this topic.

Enjoy,
Marc Balmer (mbalmer@NetBSD.org)