The label scope (I have to admit I don't use goto or labels much)
certainly makes the goto alternative more useful. I also like the tail
recursion alternative.

Still, I would like to let you know that I would still prefer
"continue" in a few cases (mainly short loops where a separate
function with tail recursion may seem to be a bit over the top).
"continue" just seems so short and self-explanatory, and IMHO it has a
greater clarity than a goto statement where I need to check where the
jump level is at first.

I may be the only one who thinks that way. In that case, feel free to
ignore my feedback.

(Regarding bloat, since "goto" is already in I'd guess adding continue
will barely require much code - I may be totally wrong on this
assumption. If there is actual demand for this (that is, not just me)
I hope you would at least reconsider, even if it means a slightly
increased Lua code base.)