On 2014-Apr-03 (Thu) at 17:35 (-0300), Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

>> We are considering removing some functions from the standard math lib,
>> either because we think few people use them or because they are trivially
>> implemented without the library. The current list is this:
>>
>> - sinh, cosh, tanh: (They are quite specialized, on par with several
>> other functions offered by external libraries, such as lhf's mathlibx.)
>>
>> - deg, rad, pow: trivially done without the library.
>>
>> Comments?

Certainly remove 'pow', since Lua already has the ^ operator.

'deg' and 'rad' are indeed trivial to implement, but their presence
may improve code clarity and uniformity.

I have never had a need for 'sinh', 'cosh', 'tanh', so although I would
not miss them from the 'math' library, perhaps others might.

-- Joseph

Joseph Manning / Computer Science / UCC Cork Ireland / manning@cs.ucc.ie