On 7 April 2014 16:30, Petite Abeille <petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2014, at 9:16 PM, Hisham <h@hisham.hm> wrote:
>
>> Except that creeping featurism _is_ combated by removing features.
>
> Meh, there is a fine line between keeping things streamlined and intellectual masturbation. Not quite clear which way this is leading this time around.

Agreed. And as I said, "no one will ever fully agree on which edges to
trim (myself included!)".

Still, if I was told at gunpoint to "remove some functions from the
standard Lua library now!" the ones I'd certainly remove would be
math.pow and string.len. They are, after all, redundant (not
"redundant" in the sense that you can code it in terms of other
primitives (in that case why don't we remove `while` since it can now
be written in terms of `goto`), but "really redundant" in the sense
that there's already another function/operator that does the _exact
same thing_).

-- Hisham