On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Peter Aronoff <telemachus@arpinum.org> wrote:
> Sorry to go long, but this has been bugging me.

Fair enough!  We are indeed a very diverse bunch and use different
naming conventions. My point only applies to the idea of ? becoming
part of the official definition of 'identifier', and reducing
available symbol space.  It's straightforward to patch the lexer of
your personal Lua, however, and that's one of the great freedoms of
the language (e.g. Dirk has his UTF-8 identifier version[1], and so
forth)

[1] is there any good argument why core Lua could not go in this
direction?  Difficulty of establishing "what is an identifier" in
general?