On 03/06/2014 12.06, steve donovan wrote:
Despite its oddities, Swift seems a lot
more readable than Objective-C, which always made my eyes bleed.

Not sure about that, but it may be because I was used to Objective-C. A bit verbose, yes, and global selectors left me a bit perplexed.

Anyway, I had a quick look and Swift and it looks to me like Objective-C in a candy wrapping. Nothing revolutionary at first glance (I may have missed it, though); no conceptual leap for sure.

Are willSet and didSet an original idea, or are there languages offering a similar shortcut for properties with side effects?

Anyway, I have been burned too many times by languages controlled by a single company, especially from a company which actively enforces prompt obsolescence. I'll pass :-)

--
  Enrico