On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would have to agree, the \newline behavior is definitely surprising
> to me and not intuitive. I would expect that \newline is completely
> ignored, and \n is the only way to represent a newline.

While I agree that it's surprising, I wouldn't ask the behavior to
change. It's internally consistent -- all escaped characters are
preserved literally unless they belong to a predefined set of escape
sequences, which is a desirable trait -- and there's no reason to
change the behavior for existing scripts.

Nothing wrong with being different from C.

/s/ Adam