> Slightly off topic, but since it's been brought up a few times in this thread... Has anyone out there written a "human-readable" patch/wrapper for LPEG? Every time I try to look at a non-trivial example, my brain starts to melt.

There is "re", which gives you access to most (all?) functionality of
LPEG while following a more familiar syntax. Even though I'm very
familiar with regexps, I now find LPEG expressions easier to read than
corresponding "re" scripts, but it's probably a matter of experience.

I haven't seen any human-readable wrapper, but if you are interested
at what happens during execution of LPEG patterns, you may find
PegDebug useful (https://github.com/pkulchenko/PegDebug).

Paul.