> Le 18 sept. 2015 à 23:19, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> a écrit :

>> I was trying to do some Lua programming with my son (in Love2D, a space invader game, he is 7) but I soon realized that the English keywords can make things more complex than necessary for a young French boy (same with other spoken languages).
>>
>> Do you know if attempts to translate Lua keywords/functions in other languages has been done already ? Or do you think this can be done and how could it be done then ?
>
> I would leave the keywords unchanged, but assign the library functions
> to local variables with easy=to-remember names. Many  programmers
> cache them even in English. E.g. I find it useful to say
>
>    local append=table.insert
>
> Your son does not need to know what 'for' means in English.
> He only needs to know that for ... do ... end are the brackets
> for the initialization and body of an iteration. The French
> translations of the English words will still be just such brackets.
> Apart from `fin` for `end`, they will probably have more letters.

> Le 18 sept. 2015 à 21:01, Pierre-Yves Gérardy <pygy79@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> For Löve, you may want to translate the love.x.y names though, and
> have him use French for naming his own fariables and functions. The
> same goes for the Lua standard library ('require' -> 'demande',
> 'print' -> 'imprime', try to use verbs of the first group (in 'er') it
> makes spelling simpler).

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will go this way, just translating the names of function and variables and keeping the keywords as they are.

> Le 19 sept. 2015 à 03:08, zejian ju <juzejian@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Virtual Programming Environment (such as those based on Blockly) may be better for a 7-years-old boy.

I already tried Scratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/) with him, which is also visual. But at some point, when you start using variables, I found that things became more complex to explain than just "a = 1". As long as all you do is animation and sprites movements, it's fine though and it's fun.

Thanks,

Bertrand