> I'd have grabbed the source tarball anyway, not a documentation tarball,
> to get the documentation.

The documents in the tarball and the ones at the site are essentially
the same. But we do update the online manuals more frequently than we
release tarballs. Sometimes there is a typo, sometimes a missing entry
in the index, sometimes a css fix.

In the case of Lua 5.1, the index in contents.html has more entries than
the one in the tarball. And we're not going to release Lua 5.1.6 just for
that.

So, I think having the standalone reference manuals is a good thing.

Thanks for the nudge.
--lhf