It was thus said that the Great Oliver Kroth once stated:

> Regarding directories: I meant actually directory trees or paths.
> Think of CP/M, or the OS/360 which have drives (disks), but no concept
> of sub-directory trees.

  CP/M and MS-DOS 1.0 have *some* concept of a "current directory", only in
those cases, it's the "current drive" (each drive having just one top level
directory).  For those, you can simply return just the drive specification:

	B:
	etc

MS-DOS 2.0 and higher does have a concept of a "current directory" in
addition to a "current drive".

  For operating systems that don't even have a concept of a "current drive"
can simply return an empty string.

  -spc