On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 19:31 Paul K <paul@zerobrane.com> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

> My current favorite solution is ZeroBraneStudio, which "just works" on the three major platforms, if you're just trying to make things run. It does not provide a luarocks install and it doesn't provide the ability to export a sandbox, but it does give you a functioning debugger and many of the other niceties of a real environment.

FWIW, the last version also bundles luasocket, luasec, luafilesystem,
and lpeg binaries for Lua 5.1-5.3 on all supported platforms
(Windows/Linux/MacOS). For those users who need more, there is
integration with LuaDist that will get binaries (or compile from
sources if needed) [1]; there is no direct integration with luarocks,
but any usual path mechanisms that Lua uses (whether with
package.c/path or LUA_C/PATH) should work.

That is great news!

> it doesn't provide the ability to export a sandbox

What do you mean by this?

I mean that there is no way to say "export this project into some kind of redistributal" and I'm not really suggesting that ZBS should do that. It's just that if I'm looking to get something done with Lua on windows and part of that is to be able to save out a package that will run my project as a standalone install, the. I need to figure that out as a separate process from ZBS.

Paul.

[1] http://notebook.kulchenko.com/zerobrane/lua-package-managers-luadist-luarocks-and-integration-with-zerobrane-studio