Am 18.04.17 um 18:53 schrieb Andrew Starks:

Has something like the idea of a Lua Foundation ever come up?

The reason that I ask is because there seem to be many opportunities to explore, all of which require some kind of momentum to be formed or strict adherence to Lua's specific mission. As a result, many efforts feels like hearding cats or sounding like an unwanted extension to Lua itself.

I believe that it might be good if some blessed governing forum exist for certain things to be decided,
What have you in mind that would like to decide? Why need a governing forum?
independently from the authors of Lua. I don't wish to speak for the authors, but I understand that they do not want the responsibility of managing a desktop eco-system for Lua, be an advocate to Linux distributors, bless a set of standard libraries, etc.
Who wants a desktop eco-system for Lua? I don't, for example. Oh, and there is more to the world than Linux.
Since many people might choose to benefit from the results of some of these activities, it seems to me that if there is a desire to see Lua expand into more common use, while also letting Lua be Lua for those that like things more as they are, that this path would be a decent option to explore.

-Andrew
I see not much benefit, tbh, i your proposal.