On Feb 27, 2018, at 10:03 AM, John Gabriele <jgabriele@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> The 4th edition is of course updated for 5.3, but was also reorganized and now feels more like a tutorial than the previous edition. I bought the 3rd edition a ways back, didn't spend enough time with it, then recently bought the 4th ed and was glad I did.

it is probably off topic. I recently got PIL2
Page 139 has pseudo-code for lua require, which avoid infinite loops

mod.lua: print(package.loaded.mod); require "mod"

Based on PIL2, required "mod" should print true, and stop

On lua 5.2.4 and 5.3.4, above code print bunch of nil, then crash.

Does PIL3 and PIL4 changed the require implentation ?

Read Lua 5.3 reference manual, but found nothing.