On ZeroBrane Studio:

> I did download it and messed with it last night,
> but as of this time, don’t really see an advantage
> over using Bbedit, and terminal lua calls.

Did you notice that it comes with (multiple) pre-built Lua interpreters already?

Did you notice that it has a built-in "lint"/static code analyzer facility built in? (Project->Analyze)

Did you notice that you can run programs directly from the IDE, and perhaps more importantly, debug them with full features like watch windows, call stack display, etc.? (Project->Start Debugging)

I have tried several different approaches, and ZeroBrane has been by far the best/most helpful/productive. Once you got used to it, it will be hard to put away again, and maybe that's when a payment to Paul (the author) is in applicable to support the project.