On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 09:10, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the years, there have been several replies to suggested patches
> on this list, saying "no need to patch Lua".
>
> So all that is necessary is:
>
> 1. In the Lua source directory, save your modified files with another
> prefix, say "my", instead ol "l" starting their names, e.g.
> 'myctype.c' and 'mylex.c'.
> 2. When you want a new 'lua' including your most recent modifcations:
>     rm my*.o     # necessary because the Makefile does not know about them
>     make linux -e "LUA_O=  lua.o myctype.o mylex.o"

Hi I think this is a bad idea; this is okay for quick hacks but not
the best way to build production software. I think the issues have
been discussed in detail so I won't go into that. But here is an
interesting take on how to build software:

Jonathan Blow on Libraries for his new games programming language:
https://youtu.be/3TwEaRZ4H3w

Regards
Dibyendu