23.06.2019, 14:54, "Viacheslav Usov" <via.usov@gmail.com>:
> I chose () because this is the "least special" kind of brackets.
>
> I would not mind square brackets, simply because this would
> entail fewer keystrokes for me, but users of other keyboard
> layouts might disagree.

admittedly square brackets do not look more pleasant. :-/

> Any other characters might be used there equally well,
> but it is probably reasonable to use something that traditionally
> implies grouping, and it is not clear to me why multi-char
> sequences would be advantageous here.

using multichar sequences that look like comments to older Lua
versions and hence would be ignored by those is no bad idea,
right ?

but then this might boil down to something more in line with
Lua's multiline comments:

--[==...==[@ attr arg1 arg2 arg3 ... @]==...==]

which admittedly does not look too pleasant aswell ... :-/