Recently saw an article on LWN about some sort of reader for e-ink
devices [1]. It goes for a decent length describing KOReader [2],
which appears to be mainly developed using Lua:
> The KOReader source is available on GitHub. It turns out to be a little over 140,000 lines
> of mostly Lua code that can be built for any of the platforms that KOReader supports.

It's been pretty steady on their monthly releases for a while now.

[1] https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/889171/6a39f58eba9a81d1/
[2] https://koreader.rocks/