On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 3:47 PM Lorenzo Donati
<lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it> wrote:

> I have a feeling that nowadays no one creates compilers that are just
> C89 compatible any longer, even for exotic new systems (e.g. newer
> low-cost MCU families) that require a quick and dirty compiler put
> together in a hurry. C99 seems to the baseline even for the simplest and
> dumbest C compiler out there. Is it really worthwhile to keep developing
> Lua using a C89 programming style?

Well, one very popular and certainly not exotic compiler family is
that of Microsoft's Visual Studio. Until a couple of years ago, it was
mostly (but not fully) C89-conformant, and certainly not
C99-conformant.

At work, we still maintain VS-based build systems that have the
tooling that would not be C99-conformant, so it is rather good that
Lua has been C89-conformant all these years.

Cheers,
V.