I have read the reference you gave, but I have a problem there.
The rosetta vehicle in MacOSX made it possible for me to run my previously installed Lua 5.3. I do not want to loose that option by removing its binary and risking I will never get it back working.

I have looked more closely into the details of the compile run hoping to bring up enough information for you or others to pinpoint the culprit. I myself do not know enough to find a solution, but I can try suggestions for altering the make file.

The compiler did signal a problem for liblua.a that escaped my notice earlier. Everything compiles without warning except this one and my suspicion is that this is the root of the problem.

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/ranlib: archive member: liblua.a(lapi.o) offset in archive not a multiple of 8 (must be since member is an 64-bit object file)

ranlib liblua.a

I might be wrong, but could it be that the make script does not generate 64bit binaries? As obviously required for the M2.

yours sincerely
dr. Hans van der Meer

This is the first time I hear about this. I don't have access to M1 or M2 Macs.
It seems you need to remove the binary before recreating or copying
it, as per this thread:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/428388/22769

yours sincerely
dr. Hans van der Meer