>>> You can already solve it with a wrapper, something like; [...]

>> Sure, but that warns when the function is called, not when its name
>> is used.  [...]
> Deprecation in other languages is handled at compile time, which isnt really$

Strictly speaking, maybe, functions do not have names.  But they are
referred to with names.  It is that, the name which is used to refer to
the function, that I would attach the deprecation to.  (This makes
sense to me especially because you may want to simply rename some
functionality, in which case you want to deprecate the old name, not
the functionality itself.  Also, attaching the deprecation to the name
instead of the thing allows you to deprecate things other than
functions.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@rodents-montreal.org