Tom - thank you for the tip!

Appreciate you wringing all this info - it greatly helps

Cheers

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 4:12 PM Tom Sutcliffe <tomsci@me.com> wrote:
Hi Francois,

Check out NodeMCU - it adds Lua 5.3 (or 5.1) on top of FreeRTOS and the esp32-idf SDK. Be sure to look at the dev-esp32 branch as the esp32 support never merged and basically forked from dev (I wish they'd make a release-esp32 branch...)

https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware/tree/dev-esp32
https://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/dev-esp32/

I've used it quite a bit although only for hobby projects. It is a little rough around the edges for the more recent esp32 revisions - be sure to check what esp-idf SDK version your project and/or hardware may require, as NodeMCU is rarely using the absolute latest. Even if it doesn't suit your project it may be a useful reference point.

Cheers,

Tom