From my point of view these are the main factors which make a programming language successful:

1. providing as many "batteries included" as possible
2. having a very strong and wide community providing further "batteries" in addition to these ones already included
3. convince Microsoft, Apple and all Linux flavor providers to include Lua within the default OS-distribution and to use it for scripting purposes within the by the OS provided tools. Make the main Lua developer be hired by Google, Twitter or Microsoft.
4. convince Intel to provide a Lua compiler which makes optimal use of Intel specific CPU features

To my up to now experience not an actual "better" system/language wins against competitors, but the one which succeeds in the area of points 3. and 4.

These my two cents on this subject

Claudio