It was thus said that the Great Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo once stated:
> >   I tried it.  You *HAVE* to have a Google account to sign up.
>
> I'm sorry about that. My understanding is that those who are invited
> do not need a Google account to sign up, but the information on the
> internet about this is sketchy.

  That's good for the people already on the list, but what about someone who
wants to sign up now without a Google account?  I used a new web browser
from a new computer that I never signed into Google [1] with, and there
doesn't seem to be an option to sign up without a Google account.

> I have been sending invitations but there's a daily limit of 500 and I
> haven't got to the email addresses starting with S. I'll try it
> tomorrow.

  Well, you did send the invitation to me, so thank you.  I was able to get
signed up with my current non-Google email address at the new list, so thank
you.

> > Is there really no other option?
>
> We did not find a convenient one. These days, setting up a mail server
> that Gmail finds trustable is not trivial. Moreover, over half the
> current subscribers have gmail addresses.

  Sigh.  That does not surprise me.  I do wonder how long until Google
controls the entire TCP/IP stack ...

  -spc

[1]	I do have a Google account from signing up to look at Gmail an
	insane number of years ago.  I don't use it though.