we edited the Makefile in the src directory, to re-enable -DLUA_USE_READLINE
(that was commented out), then a make in the top directory worked fine.

for some reason, "make install" didn't work, said " 'install' is up to date ",
but we moved files to /usr/local manually, and now things are fine.

also, we didn't have /usr/include/readline as we hadn't installed the new gcc,
took us a few minutes to figure that one out.

now i know about readline, even.

thanks!

rob