> As most of these devices have only 4MB of Flash it would be very helpful to
> byte-compile the Lua sourcecode to keep things as small as possible.

Precompiling does not imply reduction in size. Stripping debug information
helps reducing size but of course gets you less information in case of errors.
I think you'd be better off compressing instead of precompiling.
See http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2003-05/msg00380.html and that thread.

> So my question is: Is there anything which could be helpful for cross
> compiling Lua byte-code

The easiest path is to change lundump.c to handle the multiple platforms,
especially if the differences are minor. How different are your target
platforms?