* Mark Hamburg:

> So how do other languages manage the process of standardizing
> library APIs?

In short: they don't.

For instance, I think no language with a standardization process has
ever gained the ability to change file permission bits.  All languages
which I know and provide this functionality got it when there was no
standardization process and one implementation, basically.

Java 7 will likely have the functionality, as part of NIO2.  So I'll
soon have to pick a different example, like UNIX domain sockets.