* Florian Weimer:

> For instance, I think no language with a standardization process has
> ever gained the ability to change file permission bits.  All languages
> which I know and provide this functionality got it when there was no
> standardization process and one implementation, basically.

It occurred to me that there is one exception: IEEE 1003.5, an Ada
version of POSIX.  It never gained widespread use, even within the Ada
community, because there was basically zero readily available
reference material (there was just the standard, and it was quite
expensive).  I think it's been dead for about a decade.  It certainly
hasn't gained relevance for Ada programmers in the same way that
1003.1 has improved for C programmers (where you can use the standard
as an API reference, at least when writing mostly for GNU/Linux).