I can't help thinking that all these "this particular case could be interpreted as" we see each time some enhancement proposal comes up could be easily solved by having a mandatory  semicolon statement separator. This is not to say that all proposed enhancements should be thrown into the language, but it is a bit disappointing that some interesting propositions are abandoned out of hand because of this. So, I wonder whether this "historical quirk" of the language is worth keeping around, and for what reason? I understand that migrating the existing code might be painful, but I think that inconvenience could be much alleviated by some automated script. Coming from a C/C++ background, I wouldn't balk at the idea of using ; everywhere (which I don't do currently), but maybe others have a different opinion on the subject?

Benoit.