Using Lua 5.2 embedded in a GTK 2 app that speaks UTF-8, I've
experienced no difficulties in scripting the retrieval of files on
Windows with a US locale.

However, I filed a Win 7 bug report with Microsoft yesterday on a
desktop theme-dependent rendering of path separators displayed in the
app's status bar, where the backslash renders as the Yen symbol.  Most
problematic themes are Aero Desktop themes.

While tracking down the problem, I ran across some information that
might be relevant to your issue (but I haven't thought this through):

"In the Japanese editions of Microsoft operating systems, the yen sign
in code page 932 character encoding has the same byte value as the
backslash in ASCII. It is also used wherever a backslash is used, such
as the directory separator character and the general escape
character,[2] essentially making it a backslash with a yen sign look,
a peculiarity that stems from JIS X 0201."

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%A5#Code_page_932>

Given the strong suspicion that code page 932 is leaking into the US
locale, it's conceivable that it's also leaking into other parts of
the Windows code base where it shouldn't.

In other words, I raise the notion that you might be facing a Windows
code page bug rather than being a Unicode issue.

Best regards,

Paul