Although 8.3 name generation can be disabled on Windows.

fsutil.exe behavior query disable8dot3
fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 <value>

This is actually good, since 8.3 name generation requires the names to be unique, and if you happen to have a very long directory with names starting with the same 11 characters prefix, then everytime a new file is added the NTFS has to find out what name is available and provide one (I doubt there is a set<> of some sort kept per folder, and that the lookup is probably linear - hence O(N)).