On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
> Java 8 is *finally* getting around to addressing this by introducing
> lambdas with closures, so you don't have to create a whole bloody
> class in order to have a callback.

How the mighty have fallen .. into sensible solutions.

> C++11 has lambdas with closures too ;)

Oh, I am tempted - but still persist in believing that a great deal of
C++ is 'premature optimization' as defined by Knuth.

C++ made (IMHO) some serious mistakes by defining such ordinary things
as strings as fully templated classes:

http://steved-imaginaryreal.blogspot.com/2013/10/c-some-consequences-of-design-decision.html

But it turns out I'm just an old fart who likes programs to compile
quickly and produce small executables ;) Very last century.

Relevance to Lua would be: don't listen to the crowd. I'd hate it to
become an ISO standard and have full confidence in PUC Rio ;)

steve d.