Luiz,

Thanks for your prompt testing on M2 Mac. It ensured the problem is not in the source. Therefore I turned my attention to the incorporated library component. Suspected the problem might be that on the migration from the previous Mac to the new one, the CommandLineTools might be outdated. I had to remove them by hand, because othersise the new version would not install. There seems to be no automatic update.

This did solve the problem, as seen from the screenshot below. Maybe it is an observation useful to put in a place where other Macintosh users can see them. Because I might not be the only one who migrates his stuff to a newer machine and then encounters this problem.

33 lua-5.4.6: make test

./lua -v

Lua 5.4.6  Copyright (C) 1994-2023 Lua.org, PUC-Rio

34 lua-5.4.6:

A final remark about the documentation of Lua 5.4, if permitted. I understood that in this version variables can be declared as 'const name=value', but could not find this in the online documentation. I searched for const, but nothing came up. Am I mistaken about the const modifier?

yours sincerely
dr. Hans van der Meer