>> Strictly speaking, maybe, functions do not have names.  But they are
>> referred to with names.  It is that, the name which is used to refer
>> to the function, that I would attach the deprecation to.
> But the point here is that you DONT know what you are deprecating. The arbit$

Arbitrary value?

I as a (putative) library author see no reason to be concerned about
what happens if someone replaces the value associated with one of the
names my library exports.  Someone who does that to a deprecated name
is, from my point of view, responsible for any resulting fallout.

> What you are deprecating is functionality ..

Again, as a putative library author?  Sometimes, sometimes not.  I
could well be keeping the functionality under another name and
depecating only the old name for it.

But it's all moot, I suspect, as it sounds as though there is nothing
like consensus on what such a thing should do or how.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@rodents-montreal.org